Friday, April 2, 2010

UK I: London

Since it's easter weekend, I shall be diligent and post my long overdue UK trip photos...............


I'll start with London, since this is where I landed.


London is my current favourite shopping city, and that's because of Oxford Street and Portobello!

Topshop, River Island, Miss Selfridge, Miss Sixty, Primark, Marks & Spencer, H&M and so on..........

I really went crazy in Oxford Street! It was so good until I shouted out loud "SHIT YOU ORCHARD ROAD! You're a piece of shit!" I thought Stockholm is already awesome, but London is really so exaggerating........




I shall start off with a picture of the breakfast I had on that day! Haha. Instant noodle with my favourite canned food- spiced pork cube! Really delicious!~








I think no one is qualified to accuse me of being slack nor spendrift. I shall elaborate the latter later. As for slacker, I am certainly not. At least not in the case of lab. Because of the weekly wednesday organic lab, it's very hard to arrange overseas trip. Some friends of mine just skipped. As I'm not a slacker, I attended half day's lab before rushing down to catch the train to Sweden for the Sweden trip. I travelled and arrived wednesday 1am. Did some pre-la work, slept 4 hours, unpacked Sweden's luggage, packed London's luggage, attended whole day lab, gobbled some dinner and off I go to te airport.

See! I came back to Denmark just for the lab! I could have just go straight from Stockholm to London! It's much cheaper! But all for you, Organic Lab!



Anyway, so we were almost late for the plane to London (yes I know again!Almost late for the flight to Denmark from Singapore, almost late for the train to Sweden, late for the bus to Sweden, and now.....).


However, I still managed to take a photo of one of my favourite shops in Denmark-Lisbeth Dahl. They sell pretty bling bling stuff! Hearts things that shine!



They even have an outlet in the airport! But a pity that I dont have time to shop...


After we landed in London Gatwick, we had plenty of time so I just entertained the racist custom guy. If I'm rushing for time I think I'd be damn pissed.

England is super racist. I never thought I'd face discrimination but now that I do, it makes me wonder why do Singaporeans feel superior over the Bangladeshi. Afterall, we're all humans. No superior race.

That custom guy was like RC (racist custom):"Why are you here"
me: holiday
RC: what holiday. what are you intending to do
me: watch football match?
RC: which football match and when?
me: 15 mar Liverpool
RC: liverpool? but you're in london
me: I'm going to liverpool also...
RC: Liverpool against who?
me: (heng I know, if it's yanli she sure dont know!) Portsmouth *smirks*
RC: what are you doing now?
me: studying
RC: in Denmark?
me: yes
RC: but you're from Singapore
me: exchange
RC: how long
me: half a year
RC: who finance your studies?
me: myself? *starts to get angry for asking such personal question*
RC: how did you managed to finance your own studies when you're only a student?
me: *super pissed off! Asians can be rich, can't we?!! GOD DAMN IT* i worked as well
RC: you said you're studying, how is it possible that you're working. so are you working or studying?
me: both
RC: what are you working as?
me: tutor
RC: what ar you studying?
me: chemistry
RC: what year?
me: year 3
RC: where are you staying?
me: somewhere in london
RC: i want an exact location
me: I DON'T KNOW*turns to yanli cause she's the one who booked the hostel*

At this point, lots of people are waiting for him (because he's the one and only staff working at the custom). He knows that he had to hurry and so he said "forget it. I don't need the address now." He then chopped and let me go.

Fucking racist! Just because I'm non European, and a Chinese! Forget it, I told myself maybe because of terrorism issues so they have to be more careful. Anyway I had lots of time to kill because it was only 11pm and I'm gonna stay overnight at the airport!!!





So this was my bed!



As I was already exhausted from Sweden's trip, I fell asleep despite the uncomfortable "bed". Poor Yanli couldnt sleep though as it was bloody cold and we didn't bring our blanket. But the exhaustion won over the cold for me.



All these in an attempt to save a night's hostel. Not worth it to just check in and sleep right? We could hav taken an earlier flight but all because of you, Organic lab!





Next day we tried to find the Queen's theatre because YL wanted to watch les miserables.

Most of the photos that contained both YL and I were taken by my self-timer. Because I find it troublesome to ask someone to take for us. Anyway Londoners are not as friendly as Scandinavians. They'll be wary of us when we approach them. Siao!


Anyway we faced more discrimination in Liverpool but I shall talk about that when it's Liverpool's post!


Meanwhile we found Chinatown! I rarely associate myself with the China Chinese but now I feel damn proud of China! The mighty China! The rising power of China's economy actually made the them scared and since I AM A CHINESE, they should be scared of me! Damn it!

Chinese are everywhere ok! Tell me which race is so powerful until they can have a town of their own in a foreign land???!!!!





Saw yummy duck along Chinatown and we were so drooling in front that the Chefs inside laughed at us.

However YL and I were like no way we cannot eat. We dont have much money....




But after hours later, we decided since we ate pasta EVERYDAY in Denmark, we should reward ouselves for being the most thrifty exchange students! Seriously I never thought I could live with a dish daily for 3 months! But when the situation calls for it, I deal with it positively.



Our reward- I could gave up 10 meal just for this again! It was soooooooooooo good! Aout 20 pounds per person though =((





The chilli! LOL. I ate so much until when I asked the waiter to refill for me again, he gave me an extra big sauce plate! I ate one scoop of chilli with every spoon!





Telephone booth in London, a must take photo!


At night, les miserables.





Next day, it's a day of sight seeing! London's weather is definitely weird. Drizzle, downpour, sunny. All in an hour.










Walked randomly and found another touristy place. London is good for random walk because there are so many touristy stuff unlike Denmark.

The monument.










Tower hill





Tower Bridge. I always thought this is London Bridge cause some postcards of this photo captioned as London bridge! In the end London bridge is nothing, just a bridge lor! Tower Bridge is much nicer!






London makes mefeel nolstagic...

The tube map! More more complicated than Singapore's MRT!



Walked passed this and I was telling YL that if this is my house, 1 room would be for my flats, 1 for slipper, 1 for heels, 1 for boots, 1 for running shoes, 1 for room wear, 1 for sleeved tops, 1 for sleeveless tops, 1 for mini skirts, 1 for long skirts, 1 for shorts, 1 for pants, 1 fo necklaces, 1 for earrings, 1 for rings, 1 for banlgles, etc etc.

She almost want to hit me.

Dreams are free what!



London eye. About the same as Singapore flyer leh! No big deal. The big deal is because THIS IS LONDON.






At night we went to Oxford Street!!!!! Although shops close at around 830-9pm (unlike Denmark's 5-6pm), we still dont have enough time to shop!






We spent hours in the MEGA topshop! It left me speechless. It was so big that we shopped until it closed.





Despite all the walking the whole day, we still want to maximise our time here. No shopping for clothes and so we go grocery shop! Since supermarket closes at 10... At Iceland, I went crazy again. Because things are dirttttt cheappppppppp!


FOR THOSE SUA GU SINGAPOREANS WHO HAVE NOT BEEN TO LONDON,
LONDON IS NOT EXPENSIVE AT ALL. In fact it is even cheaper than Singapore in many things! Except transportation, many other things are either same price or cheaper. With the plunging pounds, London is dirt cheap for shopping!

STOP TELLING ME LONDON IS EXPENSIVE. It pissed me off knowing that if London is expensve, then I'm living in a place where only Danish people can survive. By the way, the lowest paid job in Denmark is obviously, a cleaner. But he/she earns 4800SGD per month. I WANT TO BE A CLEANER liao lah!!!



See 1 pound eggs? I thought Denmark is expensive because Europe is expensive. But I felt so cheated now because NO DENMARK IS EXPENSIVE because THIS IS DENMARK! Only Denmark and Norway are expensive. Damn.

A packet of 12 eggs are like SGD6 in Denmark while London is SGD2.20. Singapore is about 1.50 for 10 eggs, so tell me, isn't London about the same as SG????





The next day, we went to Buckingham palace.














Lots of tourist! Seems like people around the world all want to come to London!











Victoria station.


Sloane street- the stree full of designer goods! Didn't buy any because I can only claim tax refund within the last 3 months of my stay in Europe!


Portobello! A street selling vintage stuff Love vintage stuff! I saw a bling bling crystal door knob that I love so much but gave up because it's 57 pounds. Awwwww. Now I regret!


Dinner was fish & chips! Go London confirm must eat fish & chips!




We rushed to Primark after dinner but it was closed =(

Heard from hostel mate that Primark is dirt cheap. Although hostel doesnt have the comfort of a hotel but it's quite fun to meet people all over the world. Furthemore you get more advices! Like Sloane street, Portobello, Primark are all advises from the Mexican guy! So no worries if you didnt do any homework like me!


Oh topshop closed as well so I didnt get to buy that dress that I really like. Haix... Bt it's 40 pounds so it was a good thing I didnt buy right?





We walked randomly again because it was our last night in London and we want to fully utilise our time here...


And so I found this hotel...

I think it's the one Ayu stayed while she's in London. Haiz. Really a grand hotel but couldnt capture it well with the low light environment. Why ain't I rich!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment